Thursday 30 March 2017

Meet the participants of the Llandeilo Book Fair: John Thompson

Today I present another well known face from the previous Book Fairs: Carmarthen based author John Thompson. Welcome back John. Please tell us about the books you’ll be bringing to theBook Fair.

I will be bringing the first volume of The Brindavan Chronicle, published in 2015, sub-titled Genesis, and hopefully volume two, Nemesis, which is presently at the proof-reading stage.  I also have some books of short stories: Adventures in Time, stories for children; The Female of the Species, stories of murder; and Strange Encounters, a collection of ghost stories.  I am currently putting together a fourth book of paranormal short stories which should be ready in time for the Book Fair.

Which genres do they belong to? 

As can be seen from above, I write in a variety of genres, but the theme which runs through all my stories is human relationships: especially how some people use position or power to control others, and how some victims fight back and turn the tables.  I like to write short stories with a twist in the tale (often a nasty one!), but I like to think that some of the things I write also have a feel-good factor.

 What are the characters and plot like?

In The Brindavan Chronicle the story tells of the relationships between a number of characters and a manipulative but charismatic 'guru'.  Several discover that they have been deceived; some of them run for cover, but one in particular, decides to fight back.  How she does this is the main story in Nemesis.
Tell us about your newest book. 

Nemesis is my latest full-length novel, but I have started on the third volume of the trilogy. which will be set some years in the future.  I have also nearly finished a fictional account of the life of Judas Iscariot, entitled A Man Called Judas, which I hope to publish later this year.

Which of your books are you most proud of? 


I am proud of Genesis, for without that first book there would not be a Nemesis, but I guess that the latter is really my favourite because of what the heroine (Meera) goes through, both in order to exact revenge and in what she suffers as a consequence.  Although she is a figment of my imagination, I really feel for her in what she undergoes.

What is the best thing that has been said about your books?

So many people who have read Genesis keep asking me when Nemesis is going to be ready because they are desperate to know what happens.  "I just hope that b******d gets his come-uppance" has been said to me more than once, and I take that as a real compliment, for it means that my characters have come alive for them  -  as they have for me!

Why did you decide to come to the Llandeilo Book Fair? 

When we heard last year about a book fair in Llandeilo, we were delighted that finally something was happening in our own locality.  It was a great experience  -  meeting so many other local authors, as well as interacting with members of the public.  It gave us the impetus and enthusiasm to start a similar venture in Carmarthen.

Do you have a special connection to Wales?

We began to visit Wales in 1976, and came regularly thereafter until it just seemed common sense to come and live here permanently, which we did in 1990.  Although I have no genetic Welsh connections, I feel thoroughly at home here, and have made many good friends.

What is your personal background?

After leaving school (Windsor Grammar School) I spent the next few years at university in Scotland, England and the United States, gathering degrees in European and American history.  I then taught for a few years in London while studying for a Law degree, and in 1976 passed the Bar exams, and spent the next 20 years as a practising barrister.  This proved an excellent foundation for getting to know the human psyche, and especially how horrible we can be to each other!

Who are your favourite authors?

Over the years I have had so many favourite authors that I have lost track of many of them.  I'm the sort of person who, having liked a book by a certain author, then reads everything that person has written.  For the last few years, however, I have tended to read books which introduce me to different countries and cultures, such as The Kite Runner, The Bookseller of Kabul, and Q & A.  Having said that, I just love Hilary Mantel!


Anyone can contact us through our website, www.thompson-authors.com, or via Facebook (Thompson Authors).  The Brindavan books are available through Amazon, but the books of short stories only directly from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment