Wednesday 1 March 2017

Meet the particiants of the #LlandeiloBookFair / #LlandeiloLitFest: David Evans

David Evans will be at the Book Fair for the first time and will also share his experience as author with us in a joint session with J A Corrigan about his path to publishing. 

Sunday April 30th at 2pm at the Angel Inn
 J A Corrigan and David Evans on their journey to published authors
Eventbrite - J A Corrigan and David Evans on their Journey to Published Authors  £2,71 Journey to PublishingMaking it in the challenging world of publishing is hard. Considering taking the plunge? Wondering how a publishing contract can be obtained. Authors, David Evans and J A Corrigan, discuss their road to publishing success.
Mae y byd cyhoeddi llyfrau yn un cystadleuol dros ben. Ydych chi am fentro? Bydd David Evans a JA Corrigan yn agor y llen ac yn cynnig canllawiau gwerthfawr.
Welcome David. Please tell us about the books you’ll be bringing to the Book Fair.

I will be bringing the 3 books so far in my Wakefield Series – TROPHIES, TORMENT and TALISMAN

Which genres do they belong to?

Crime Fiction

What are the characters and plots like?

The Wakefield Series - Overview 


Colin Strong and Bob Souter have been best friends since their playground punch up, aged six. Their friendship and intrinsic understanding grew as they played football in the same teams. Strong graduated from Nottingham University before joining the police whilst Souter entertained dreams of becoming a professional footballer before beginning a career in journalism.
It is the year 2000; Strong is a Detective Inspector based at Wood Street Police Station in Wakefield and Souter has returned south for a position with the Yorkshire Post after nearly four years on the Glasgow Herald.
The working lives of detective and journalist, close friends but competitive colleagues, thread through the cases in which both are involved.

Trophies
The discovery of a trophy case at a murder scene prompts investigation into a previously unconnected series of assaults on women. Is there also a solution to a crime that has haunted West Yorkshire since the 1970’s?

Torment (Shortlisted for the 2013 CWA Debut Dagger)
Three young women are missing, luxury cars are being stolen, an office worker is shot dead and the bodies of two schoolgirls, missing since the late 1980’s, are discovered. Strong and Souter are drawn into murky and dangerous worlds.

Talisman
A prominent business lawyer found naked and shackled to a frame after a house fire; a body, lying in a bath for over a year; rumours of bribery and corruption regarding a proposed commercial development.


Tell us about your newest book.

My newest book, currently with my agent is, I hope, the first of a crime fiction new series, set in north Essex in the late 1970’s. At the moment, I am working on two projects – a follow up to the Essex-set book and a fourth in the Wakefield Series.

Which of your books are you’re most proud of, and why? 


Probably Talisman which I enjoyed writing. The timeline of the story fell into place with a true life event which fitted so well. However, I really enjoyed the break away from the series when writing my newest work which is set in north Essex towards the end of the long hot summer of 1976. The characters just spoke to me as I was writing and that gave me so much satisfaction.

What is the best thing that has been said about your books?

For me, I write because I want to create and the biggest thrill is when someone I’ve never met reads something of mine and ‘gets it’ and takes the time and trouble to say so publicly. That’s why reviews are so important to writers.  So when someone says of TROPHIES, “Brilliantly written, this gripping story will keep you on the edge of your seat. The attention to detail is fantastic and is a thoroughly good read,” that is so satisfying. Also when some say, “I found it so visual while I was reading it that I think it would work very well as a television drama as it’s certainly up to the calibre of the recent adaptations we have seen on the small screen” that too is great because I started out years ago thinking I’d like to write for TV.

Why did you decide to come to the Llandeilo Book Fair?

My good friend Sally Spedding suggested it would be interesting for me and when I looked into it I decided to attend.

Do you have a special connection to Wales?

My father was born in Llantwit Fardre/Church Village and joined the RAF just before WW2 where he joined 614 Squadron County of Glamorgan.

What is your personal background?

I was born in Edinburgh, went to University in Manchester and had a successful career in the construction industry, working in the UK and overseas. I am married with one daughter and live in north Essex.

Who are your favourite authors?

My current favourite at the moment is Gordon Ferris but I was drawn into the crime fiction genre by writers like Ian Rankin and Peter Robinson. Others I really enjoy are M J Arlidge, Chris Carter, Paul Finch Kate Atkinson and Ron Ellis.

Please share your social media links and buy links to your books.

Amazon pages for TROPHIES at: http://amzn.eu/7oItgqC
Ditto for TORMENT at: http://amzn.eu/1KYr8PN
Ditto for TALISMAN at: http://amzn.eu/4910Mkv

Whilst there is an ebook boxset available at: http://amzn.eu/eCN6BKy

No comments:

Post a Comment